A review of environmental factors (REF) documents the environmental impact assessment of proposed activities on land reserved under the National Park and Wildlife Act 1974, including the significance of likely environmental impacts of a proposal and measures required to mitigate adverse impacts to the environment.
This REF was exhibited by the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service and had been prepared by the Australian Wildlife Conservancy. It will enable the reintroduction of up to 7 locally extinct mammal species into Pilliga State Conservation Area:
- greater bilby (Macrotis lagotis)
- western barred bandicoot (Perameles bougainville)
- bridled nailtail wallaby (Onychogalea fraenata)
- brush-tailed bettong (Bettongia penicillate)
- plains mouse (Pseudomys australis)
- western quoll (Dasyurus geoffroii)
- possibly northern hairy-nosed wombat (Lasiorhinus krefftii)
OEH has engaged the Australian Wildlife Conservancy and University of NSW to reintroduce locally extinct mammal species into three conservation reserves in New South Wales.
For further information on the project go to reintroducing locally extinct mammals.
- Appendix 1 – Experience and qualifications of personnel involved in the preparation of this REF (PDF 161KB)
- Appendix 2 – Protected matters search tool (PDF 1MB)
- Appendix 3 – Government agency consultation (PDF 256KB)
- Appendix 4 – Details of proposed fence design and infrastructure at operations base (PDF 6.7MB)
- Appendix 5 – Fauna species recorded during Australian Wildlife Conservancy surveys (PDF 230KB)
- Appendix 6 – Threatened and migratory biota evaluation (listed under NSW acts) (PDF 310KB)
- Appendix 7 – Assessment of significance (Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016 and Fisheries Management Act 1994) (PDF 1MB)
- Appendix 8 – Assessment of significance (Commonwealth Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999) (PDF 672KB)
- Appendix 9 – Australian heritage places inventory search (PDF 359KB)
- Appendix 10 – NSW Heritage Office database search (PDF 556KB)
- Appendix 11 – Aboriginal archaeological report (PDF 5.8MB)
- Appendix 12 – Hollow-bearing tree removal guidelines (PDF 162KB)
- Appendix 13 – Ecological health monitoring framework (draft) (PDF 2.2MB) - details a draft monitoring framework to demonstrate ecological outcomes and track environmental change.
The Statement of Management Intent for the Pilliga Outwash Parks has been recently updated and is in the final stages of being reviewed to allow for the reintroduction of locally extinct mammals.
More information about Pilliga State Conservation Area can be viewed on the NPWS Pilliga State Conservation Area page.