Sustaining the Willandra
The Willandra Lakes Region World Heritage Property Plan of Management
The Willandra Lakes Region World Heritage Property (the Willandra) is located in south-western New South Wales. It covers 2400 square kilometres and includes all 19 lakes of the Willandra Lakes system and part of Mungo National Park.
- 1 January 1996
- Department of the Environment, Sport and Territories
Publication, Park Management, Plan of management, Final
The Willandra Lakes Region Plan of Management provides a framework for consistent decision-making and aims to:
- develop a partnership between governments and the community for ongoing
management of the Willandra
- satisfy Australia’s obligations under the World Heritage Convention for the
- develop a process that can serve as a model for preparing plans of management for
other World Heritage properties
- develop a values-based approach to managing a World Heritage Area.
Photo: Walls of China, Mungo National Park / Gary Bridle/OEH