This publication collates archival material and oral information relating to Youdales Hut, including its historical and social significance.
Youdales Hut is located in spectacular gorge country surrounding Kunderang Brook in the Oxley Wild Rivers National Park. It was built in about 1941 by grazier Alan Youdale and Patrick (Paddy) Hogno. The Youdale family lived in the hut while they worked the gorge country for pastoral purposes. In its pastoral heyday, up to 1200 head of cattle were run on Alan Youdale’s property.
The (NPWS) acquired Youdale’s lease holdings in 1986 and the land became part of the Oxley Wild Rivers National Park. Youdales Hut, which had fallen into considerable disrepair, was painstakingly reconstructed by NPWS in 1992. It now lies within a Youdales Hut campground and picnic area in the national park, and is on the route of the Bicentennial Trail.
The publication was commissioned by the former NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service, Department of Environment and Conservation and has been retained for historical heritage purposes.