The Department of Planning and Environment acknowledges that Aboriginal people:
- should have the right to maintain culture, language, knowledge and identity
- should have the right to directly participate in matters that may affect their heritage
- are the primary determinants of the cultural significance of their heritage.
This document focuses on the requirements for consultation with Aboriginal people as part of the heritage assessment process:
- to determine potential harm on Aboriginal cultural heritage from proposed activities
- that informs decision making for any application for an Aboriginal heritage impact permit where it is determined harm cannot be avoided.