North Head, in Sydney Harbour National Park, is a diverse site with significant cultural and environmental values receiving over 500,000 local, domestic and international visitors each year. North Head is listed on the National Heritage List.
This is being delivered as part of the largest visitor infrastructure program in national park history and aligns with the outcomes for North Head outlined in the Sydney Harbour National Park Plan of Management (2012).
What's happening at the North Head Scenic Area?
The North Head Scenic Area upgrade is expected to start on 18 October and take approximately 3 months to complete. This project will enhance the visitor experience and improve visitor access and safety through:
- the reconfiguration of car parks to provide more accessible parking spaces and overflow parking
- extending the open landscaped by reducing carpark areas to provide a space for visitors to enjoy views across the harbour
- the installation of pedestrian crossings and a pedestrian path to improve safety, access and pedestrian circulation
- the installation of a new bus stop to the east of the Bella Vista Café
- improvements to the entry of the Fairfax Walking Track.
These works will require the closure of North Head Scenic Drive starting near the Bella Vista Café to include all of the National Parks and Wildlife Service carparks for the full works duration. This approach will enable a shorter works program than staged openings and closings of these car park areas.
There will be unavoidable impacts to visitation:
- visitors will be able to drive and park at the North Fort
- the North Head Sanctuary and Bella Vistas Café will still be accessible
- pedestrian access to the Fairfax loop will be closed during the first stage of construction (approximately 6 weeks) – this will be reinstated once works are complete for new footpaths
- buses will be required to stop at the roundabout at the Q-Station
- other large vehicles will not be able to access North Head past the Q-Station.
Please refer to the map, and please check current alerts when planning your visit.