North Head, in Sydney Harbour National Park, is a diverse site with significant cultural and environmental values receiving over 500,000 local, domestic and international visitors each year. North Head is listed on the National Heritage List.
This project is funded through the NSW Government's Improving Access to National Parks program to enable the renewal, improvement and enhancement of park visitor facilities, safety and infrastructure. North Head was identified as part of this program, with the project aligning with the outcomes for North Head outlined in the Sydney Harbour National Park Plan of Management (2012).
What's happening at the North Head Scenic Area?
The North Head Scenic Area upgrade will enhance the visitor experience and improve visitor access and safety through:
- the reconfiguration of car parks to provide more accessible parking spaces and overflow parking
- extending the open landscaped by reducing carpark areas to provide a space for visitors to enjoy views across the harbour
- the installation of pedestrian crossings and a pedestrian path to improve safety, access and pedestrian circulation
- the installation of a new bus stop to the east of the Bella Vista Café
- improvements to the entry of the Fairfax Walking Track (currently closed).